HOLYWELL professional Matt Parsley was surprised to find a small silver trophy and accompanying letter of explanation in the post recently.
The trophy bears a hallmark dated Birmingham 1907, inscribed “Holywell Golf Club” and has travelled back home to the Flintshire club via Surrey, Bournemouth and Aberdeen 110 years later.
“The trophy is only one and a half inches in height and would have probably been presented as a prize to a major trophy winner in that era,” explained Matt, who is also the club’s secretary/manager.
“From enquiries made by club historian Ray Lewis it would appear that the trophy was once presented to TJD (Trevor) Jones who was present at the official opening of the club in 1906 and later as club captain in 1914,” Matt added.
The trophy has been kindly donated to the club by his great niece Judith Blaiklock who is a member of Aberdeen Ladies Golf Club.
Despite being the smallest trophy at the club it is however certainly the oldest and has been given pride of place in the club’s trophy cabinet.
Pictured (from left) are: Ray Lewis (club historian), Berwyn Parry (captain) and Ian Smith (president).